The island's distance from Piraeus is 29 nautical miles and the communication with boats and flying dolphins are daily. Has nice beaches and two low mountains, Profitis Ilias (314 m) and Vigla (378 m) is full of trees and dense shrubby vegetation. The closed port between the island and the mountains of Methana, Troizina and gives the place a peaceful, placid tone as the poet George Seferis who wrote in Villa Galini, Poros ' Kichli "one of the greatest older poems of modern Greek literature.
The resource is the safest Harbor in the Saronic and one of the bigger and safer the whole of Greece, which has a capacity of over 200 yachts at berth and mooring there feature multiple number of vessels. Water sports, sailing, canoeing, scuba diving and water skiing take place on the shores of the island, while the smaller pine island's mountains there are trails that make accessible the special natural beauty, ideal for hiking and cycling. The capital, built on the Hill, with its historic clock, the narrow uphill streets and neoclassical mansions on the beach, it offers a nice overview of Greek architecture and waterfront full of pleasure boats with cafeterias, bakeries, tavernas and restaurants are ideal for evening walks.
The Archaeological Museum, the Resource Library where there is an interesting collection of shells, the folklore collection in the building, Syngrou Avenue the ruins of the Temple of Poseidon in the post Palaces, the Monastery of Panaghia Zoodochos Pigi, built in 1713, is some of the many attractions of the island. Direct access on the opposite shore, the shore of Galata in Peloponnese, expands the capabilities of the visitor. The visit to the Lemon Grove to the East of Galata, in Artymo, where there was in antiquity sanctuary of ARTEMIS, is a unique experience, particularly at the time of flowering trees. From Galatas you can make excursions to the ancient Troezen where he played: history and Hippolytus, the wetland, Psifta the volcano of methana and, in less than an hour, to the great archaeological sites of Argolida (theatre of Epidaurus, Mycenae).
The resource, a privileged distance from the capital, is an attractive destination. Hotels, guest houses and rooms for rent serving visitor and the sights of the island, with so many signs of the Greek civilization, give him a chance to enrich their knowledge and sensitivity. The relationship of the immense sea with lush pine Virgin part of the island and its traditional settlement, compose a unique landscape, ideal for summer holidays, but also for short winter getaways.
THE POROS IN HISTORY
The island of Poros, i.e. the Kalavria and all the Southeastern Peloponnese first inhabited prehistoric times. Sfairia in prehistoric times but also in historical and much later, it was uninhabited. There was only the Temple of Athena Apatoyrias. In prwtoelladika years of Kalayrias site looks fairly residential, why have marked three settlements that belong to this period. A settlement at the location of the sanctuary of the Temple of Poseidon, a settlement at the location which later developed the town of Kalayrias near the sanctuary of Poseidon and a third West, on the mountainside of the Prophet Elijah, a little above the basin of Foysas.
The origins of the inhabitants of this age is not known, but it appears that at least part of them must have had a source from Egypt, as well as from Egypt should have origin and the first inhabitants of Ethra and all Argonafplias. While these pre leaves it seems that came from Egypt, in later years the descent on other sheets in the region, such as the Ionian and Dorian, changed almost entirely the original racial composition of residents, but allowed the conservation of many of the old local traditions.
Chronologically the first site accepted Ionians inhabitants, who yperterisan and eventually the Troizina and Kalavria evolved into Ionic cities and had special relations with the then inhabitants of Attica and Boeotia. It seems from the cult of Athena Apatoyrias is typically Ionic. With the arrival of dorians the Troizina accepted by Argos Dorian settlers, but rather peacefully.
For prehistoric times valuable information given by Discovery – just recently – an extensive settlement (about 20 hectares) of mycinaic mπρωτοελλαδικής period (3rd millennium BC), as well as a large building complex of the Mycenaean period (13th century BC) on the island Modi, East of Poros.
In historic times the Troizinia is Dorian as methana and the Kalavria, Troizinia those years depended on the Argos and from then on seems to have accepted the dorians inhabitants.
At the time of the descent of the dorians or shortly thereafter the Troizinioi found on the southwest coast of Asia minor, the cities of Bodrum, Myndo and Theaggela. In geometric and archaic period dates, within the prevailing version, the establishment of Amfiktionias of Kalaureia. The headquarters was the sanctuary of Poseidon at Kalayreia. Its members were the seven cities that participated at sacrifice: Hermione, Epidaurus, AEGINA, Beds (in kynouria), about Nauplia and the Orchomenos.
Later, residents of kalavria and towns that comprise the Amphictyony of Kalaureia, founded on the bottom, giving Italy the Sybari Kalavria name throughout the neighbouring area of this city of southern Italy by the name of amfiktionias of Kalayrias.
So the Troizinioi, together of course with the Kalayrioys, are founders of cities: Bodrum, Myndoy and Theaggelas in Asia minor, Sybaris and surrounding area of Kalayrias in Lower Italy and Sfittos municipalities, Anaflystos and Pithais.
POROS DURING BYZANTINE PERIOD
The Kalavria and the Troizina continued their existence during the early Byzantine times, as part of the province of the Byzantine Empire.
But Alarichos, Chief of Bisigotthwn who had settled on the north side of the Balkan peninsula from the early third century, crossed the Thessalia and arrived by the Thermopylae in Central Greece. In their passage through the Goths arrived in Attica and Boeotia and ruined everything. The General escaped destruction only Athens. Also, the Goths plundered Corinth, Sparta, Argos and Troizinia. Such major disaster caused by the Goths in the area, so the Troizinia Kalavria and ceased to exist from this latest destructive incursion. It was the latter months of 396m. X.
A few years after the destruction of the southern Greece by the Goths of Alarichos, a major earthquake destroyed virtually everything that was left by the destructive fury of the Goths. Then should the sea and sank the settlement of Kalayrias was in Vagionia. The ruins of homes, as well as city streets seem today quite clearly in the shallow waters of the Gulf of Bagiwnias.
After these disasters in the region, while in place of trizina developed during the later Byzantine times the "resource" Damalas couldn't develop any appreciable village or settlement. Cause they were pirates who during the Byzantine years and years of Occupation plagued literally the area and used it as a base and the Bay of Bagiwnias that even today is called Barmparia. Sfairia was uninhabited and in that time lived Kalavria few inhabitants who lived in isolated farmhouses and dealt with the cultivation of a few properties and livestock.
FRANKISH IN THE CONTRACT.
On 13 April 1204, the Crusaders, with the Fourth Crusade they succeeded to occupy Constantinople. Effect of occupation was to share the Byzantine Empire to the heads of the Crusaders against the feudal system was applied then in the West. So were several latinkes States as the Principality of Achaea, the duchies of Athens and in the Aegean and other small States. Across the Peloponnese fell into the hands of the hegemony of Achaea led by Prince William. After William power received at the Godefreigo I of Villehardouin.
Poros Trizinias region as whole about Nauplia and Argos, belonged to the Principality of Achaea. In 1212 the area however fell into ownership of the Duchy of Athens, where he had been proclaimed ruler Otto Delaros, son Boyrgoyndioy nobleman.
The resource in the years of Frankish rule was virtually uninhabitable and the North Coast had a base Mparmperinoi pirates.
Damalas on years of Enetrokratias formed the barony of Ntamales and the era of Pope Inokentioy III became the seat of the Latin Bishop. The diocese this lasted until the occupation of the region by the Turks.
TURKISH DOMINATION IN THE CONTRACT.
On 29 March 1453 Constantinople fell into the hands of Turks and until almost the whole Greece 1460, apart from a few areas that were occupied by Venetian, toyrkokrateitai.
Sfairia inhabited around 1460. The first inhabitants were Arvanites came from the Peloponnese were chased by hordes of Sultan Mehmed II the Conqueror and the Grand Vizier Mahmud and so created the first settlement on the island, Kastelli, around the current Clock. This position is preferred because it might work as a fortress and protects them from the Algerian pirates. Many toponyms that were left of them in particularly Sferia Kalavria have arbanitiki source. The beach of Punta until
Progymnastirio was inhabited for the first time since 1800.
The resource, since 1688, and throughout the completion of Eneto-Turkish war, it was the base of the Venetian admiral Morozini, who used the island as a naval fleet. Here he received the news that proclaimed Doge of Venice (July 1688).
Around 1700, under pressure from the Turks, many Greeks passed in Hydra and Poros. This fact caused and the dissemination of the Greek language in these islands, which until then was spoken only the arbanitiki dialect.
The second settlement of the island, which becomes the 1715 again by Arvanites, who faced the wrath of the Turks because they were involved with the Venetians. Over time, Arvanites and Greeks have created a new society free from hatred and conflicts, with a single national consciousness and common Orthodox religion.
The island fell to the Turkish occupation the 1718 the Treaty of passarowitz (Passarowitz), permanently displaced the Venetians. Since that time the resource was subordinated to the hegemony of Kapoudan Pasha, having always a voevodas (Governor).During the revolution of 1770 (Orlov revolt) Alexis Orloff had installed the Admiralty on the island.In 1806 the Russia and Turkey entering again into war. This time the Russians make the resource the naval base that its ruins are preserved even today shortly after the Dockyard.
In the years before the Declaration of war in 1813, the resource just like the Hydra and the remaining Islands, tackled the major problem of inaction (Naval crisis) because of the problems in trade and generally in shipping this season. The Napoleonic wars had ended. The maritime trade of the Mediterranean returned again in the hands of the French and English, while the ships stayed tied in port.
In the years 1819-1820 trade recorded the highest decline especially for the Ydraioys and the People who had large boats that sailed across the Mediterranean, even on the Black Sea, while the Poriwtwn were smaller and were traveling in short distances, and therefore the impact of the crisis on them were milder.
POROS IN THE REVOLUTION
The Poriwtes Fighters took part not only in the race's 21 but also in preparation.
The resource had bought the presence on the island while voevodas had repeatedly attempt to create a Greek school. These testimonials come from Epifanio Dimitriadis, who had been invited and taught in Resource in 1788-89, and by Winning Pampoyki who taught on the island in 1823-13.1828 survived him the resource belongs a meaningful reason for the reception of Kapodistrias in the island.
In August 1818 came Poros and Hydra as envoys of Filiki Eteria anagnostaras and Elijah Chrysopathis. Here initiated the monk and master Winning Pampoyki (1784-1840) and then MT merchants and captains of boats, unlike their elders who were hesitant. Nicholas Pamboukis referred to as katichitis in the friendly Company of Hatzianastasi Manesi and by Kyriakos Douzina str.; The number of Poriwtwn who was privy to the Friendly Company is remarkable.
Notables – karabokyraioi and simple people, either as officers or as mpoyloyxides or as sailors and soldiers, from the first moment in meterizia village found the match. Their action ashore beginning with the Declaration of the revolution and from April 1821 play an active role in the Greek Revolution. Moreover, on the eve of the uprising and the three islands (Poros, spetses, spetsopoula) were men not only just the flight but also tied with companionship, which helped manned ships Fight with men from the island of jump but also from the other two islands and particularly of resource. It must be taken into consideration that a large number of boats from Hydra and spetses had winter anchorage in Resource, because their ports were small.
So, the resource raise the flag of revolution and its inhabitants with the gun in hand start with enthusiasm to make the dream of so many generations. Already the resource from the first years of the revolution had become the informal war naval yard of epanastatimenoy nation. Apart from ships and staff allocated to manning the fleet-officers, mpoyloyxides or gemitzides-, offered on peon craftsmen and materials useful for the race.
Most poriwtes, according to their capacities, arming everyone a few or many soldiers and the idea in the siege of Corinth and Akrokorinthos in April and may of 1821 along with the Aiginites and the Derbenochwrites and continue throughout the Match.
The karabokyraioi donated their ships (Manesis, Kapasakis, Nitis, Besis, Kofinas, Karamanis etc.), merchants, and money all along participated in financial assistance toward the Supreme Administration featuring 3600 grosses in the fundraiser who was in all the Aegean Islands as referred to in document dated August 22, 1823 the dimogeronton resource. In another document we see economic Poriwtwn offer until December 23, 1823, which amounts to 262,686 grosiwn. And so without qualms and ulterior motive put themselves at the service of the fatherland ensternizomenoi the sacred purpose, the freedom of the Fatherland from the Turkish yoke.
During the Greek revolution of 1821, as is known, Hydra played a major role in the nation's struggle against the sea. There were kept and the nautical supplies needed by the fleet. In February 1827, however, because They were trying persistently to familiarize themselves with the nautical these supplies, it was decided to transfer them to the resource. So organized the resource a rudimentary dockyard. Transferred here weapons, guns, bullets, ropes, sails, anchors and makarades, while health and medicinal material arrived straight from Marseille.
There the Maritime Commission in February 1827 he rented warehouses and chartered a psariano pot to carry supplies from the Hidra, because the Turkish fleet had ekpleysei and expected attack against Hydra and Spetses but mostly fearing the loot of Hydra. And so by the time that the resource is the informal but effective army of the free Greek State. There will be installed and the Commission of AIDS (Heideck, Baily and the Greek banker Stranger, Goss's Assistant).
The resource central warehouses were constructed where shipped supplies from foreign Philhellene Komitata, mainly American, for distribution to civilians starving and Greeks were so hard pressed. The first loads arrives from America to the resource on 19 May 1827 and unloads after consulting the Miaoulis and Kanari. Afterwards here coming in and most of the eight shipments of supplies coming from America.
The resource came in June 1827 the J. Miller (first American Philhellenism) with large commissions, like his compatriot Henry Post, emissary of Filellinikwn Komitatwn of New York, to distribute the devices.
At that time the resource hosts dozens of refugees. Here the American S. Howe in consultation with his countrymen and Russ J. Miller build the first Navy Hospital, whose inauguration took place on 25 November 1827 by Bishop Dmalwn (Trizinia) Jonah.
The resource was considered not only the safest Harbour but also the most safe and quiet place. For this reason and the Commission of the National Assembly, from Nafplio, on 2 August of 1826, with 112 No.39 circular, regardless if it was not accepted, stating: "... considered competent place by his meetings the Isle of Poros, whose security, Central and apilagmeni all ochlikis influx of position wants to stand much to accelerate the ektelesis of the work of the Assembly.
But the Anti-government Commission, emerged from the Assembly of Trizina April 1827, appointed as Chair of the resource from 15 April 1827, where he remained until 16 June 1827 and temporarily exercised the power until the arrival of the i. Kapodistrias to Greece. Here was the autumn of the same year the Conference of ambassadors of the three Protective Forces
To the West of the port of Poros amidst a gorgeous Cove-ending a Vale of pine small valley, are amphitheatrically built by the Russian Army. The Emerald islet Daskalio adorning the entrance of the picturesque Bay.
The dilapidated and Mossy today complex of buildings of historic interest below hides.
With the Treaty of Kuchuk-Kaϊnartzi in 1774 between the Tsarina Catherine the Great Sultan of the Ottomans, which ended the Russo-Turkish war of 1770 (Orlov revolt.), winners Russians achieved including the free navigation of their fleet in the seas of Ottoman territory. Russian ships from then sailed in the Greek seas and naylochoysan ports. This activity has increased since and next and also winning for Russia war of 1788-1792. Chose the safe haven the resource to build the station for support of their fleet. According to reports, since the first years of the 19th century the Russian naval service was installed under Tight resource, in place today is the JV/POROS, and built the first buildings on locations material support to house their vessels and ovens to bake bread dipyriti (hardtack) for ships ' crews.
They stayed until 1830, when the Kapodistrias called on Russians to buy, for the transfer of the Greek marine gate before there, since until then space development (in today's region of high school) was insufficient and uncomfortable, but also create problem in constantly then expanding settlement of island city. And he bestowed on them the enchanting and verdant from pines Cove, near the mouth of the Northwestern port on new installations, where by then named ormos Vladimiros. The new complex was built was grander, and contained more and larger spaces for storing materials and foods, hardtack, and later manufacture and storage of coal for the supply of the first steam-powered Russian warships.
The Russian Army was destined to play its historic role in a sad season for the island and its inhabitants, which in severe climate like civil war, were drawn into perdition, looting of property and destruction. At dawn on 27 July 1831 the Government troops at kallergis and the irregulars of Nikitara passed secretly by boat of Russian ships rushing in aid of Kybernitoy, were captured and controlled the Northwest Straits (Mpogazi) of the port of Poros. The troops disembarked in the Bay of Russian marine gate before, at heat a was launched through the pine forest of the dockyard, and attacked sudden morning at roadblock of Poriwtwn and the chieftain of the CHR. Mexi in Narrow despite the current Canal of the island, in order to suppress the rebellion of Miaoulis to warships of the national fleet. The operation did not succeed and was destined to follow on 1 August the fateful national ships blasting from the glorious Admiral Miaoulis, 21st's and the looting and burning of houses by Government of Poros.
Some even dissidents to the Governor, and non-Poriwtes, were detained by Russian exiles in the facilities of the marine gate before for a while after the sad events.
The premises have been maintained for quite a while, but over time, degrading the activity of Russian ships in the Mediterranean has declined continuously, because of progressive British naval domination prevalence and its weakening and malfunctioning of the Tsar's regime. So, the early 20th century, when many years permits installation repositories only existed one Russian guard, then Greece's Ambassador in Russia Tsar Alexandros Tompazis recommended in the concession of ownership of Public space in the interests of the Greek Navy. The Tsar agreed and the Russian Army fell under the jurisdiction of Naval Service headquartered in resource.
In the following years the facility remained in disuse and unmaintained so started to fragocastello kept perishing. Sometime even a part of the rich in chipped stones, slabs and wood building material, was removed to be used in construction of new buildings in the then Central Progymnastirio. And finally came the coup de grace when the Greek State with the No. 33410/25.2.1935 contract of Office trizinia, sold out the area, selling their belongings. Later the site was sold sequentially and in several individuals, some of whom in recent years have sought the tourist exploitation, to the detriment of historicity of space and superb natural beauty of the wider landscape. The strong reactions, particularly local bodies of the cultural association "PORIWTISSA", Women have been thwarting currently altering and succeeded with the No. MINISTRY of CULTURE///DILAP 1482/25880/5.6.1989 decision of Ministry of culture, the classification of buildings of the Russian marine gate before as historical and preservable monuments and 100-metre protection zone was set up around the edges of buildings.
Today the whole complex consists of the main building and the adjacent buildings, all ruined. The main building that stands right on the beach and reminiscent of something from the old grandeur of the Russian Empire, consists of three rectangular floor plan places stenometwpoys, tiered, housed with an equal number of large domes. The view towards the beach is almost two and is divided into two zones with a horizontal decorative strip of smooth plaster, underlined at the base with slightly prominent slates. The domes are hidden by tall parapet which is adorned with horizontal marble movie with linear vertical streaks. The openings are positioned axially and repeated rhythmically, same for each dome and have linear stone lintel with a decorative key. Inside the domes have been demolished and their footprints on the walls. The disrepair of buildings in recent years has unfortunately stepped up.
Maintaining the physiognomy of the landscape and monuments is the main objective and the solicitation of all here in the Resource to the new owner, Russian businessman. With respect to nature, tradition, history, but also to the State institutions of our country, we hope that the Russian Army to become not despots and friction point, but a carrier of culture, cooperation and promising prospects, along with a mild and regular tourist development. To become a Ellinorwsikis Friendship Centre cultural activities will seal and will promote good relations that from very old retain among the two peoples.
The magic of Poros...
… the pass of Poros is magical surrounded by pine trees, olive trees and lemon trees. The beauty of this place has impressed and has been praised by prominent literary people such as the nobelist Giorgos Seferis, Kosmas Politis, Kostis Palamas, Ioulia Dragoumi and the American writer Henry Miller. Many of the houses of Poros are samples of the neoclassical architecture. One can distinguish the Deimezi building made of grey and red stone and Grivas' shop, with its wide doors and the very beautiful interior decoration. Villa Galini, among the most beautiful houses of Poros, has hosted great personalities of the Arts and Literature.
At Korizi square there is the Archeological Museam of Poros which is open to public daily except Mondays, from 9.00 am to 15.00 pm. Findings from the excavations of the Temple of Poseidon, Ancient Trizina, Magoula, Apathia, Modi and Saint Constantine from Methana are displayed here. One can also see the magnificent wall paintings of Parthenis at the Saint George Cathedral and visit the Public Library. On the Eastern side it is worth visiting the Zoodochou Pigi Monastery (18th century), built on a green slope with a view to the sea.
With its picturesque ness, it combines peace and simplicity. At the entrance of the Monastery there is a famous spring with healing properties which lies on the side of a torrent, below some huge plane trees. It was founded by the Metropolitan Bishop (Iakovos II) both at his expense and other various contributions.
The monastery is surrounded by tall and strong walls, without any openings. There is only the central gate and the loopholes. At the rectangular precinct, there is the temple, the catholic and the family tomb of Tombazis Apostolis and the Admiral from Hydra Miaoulis.
In general, the construction is a sample of island monastery architecture. The temple is simple without many wall paintings. The precious wooden-curved icon, which was made in Kappadokia of Asia Minor in the 17th C, together with the wooden-curved iconostasis and the imposing bishop throne, are of great interest. The temple is a Basilica type with a dome and a tower - like bell - tower.
Walking towards northeastern we reach the Temple of Poseidon. Few remains are felt today from the Doric Temple(6th century) made of blue limestone with 34 columns. This place was a sacred asylum for fugitives and castaways.5 kilometers towards the North there are the ruins of the
There in 1834 warehouses and bakeries were built for the supply of the Russian fleet sailing in the Aegean. The Russians kept this property until the 1900s. since 1989, with a Ministerial decision, the Russian Dockyard has been announced as a historical monument due to its great architectural and historical interest.
The ancient Trizina is known as the homeland of Thiseas and it is one of the most interesting places in Poros. All the archeological finds from ancient Trizina are located in the archeological Museum. Continuing your way, a distance of about 3 kilometer from Trizina there is a place called "Vasiliki Tafi"(The Royal cemetery). This area has great interest because of the archaeological finds of the Mycenaean period. Walking towards northwestern we reach "Diavologe firo" which is an abrupt area in Poros but famous for its wild beauty. The visitors will have the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful natural environment. The area is full of blooming flowers and trees. Here the river flows furiously through a deep canyon.
Another worth visiting area is the "Lemon Forest". Lemon trees grow wild in Mediterranean climates and can be easily recognized by their tangy smell of fresh. It is ideal for romantic nice long walks as the sound of the running water is wonderfully soothing.
Opposite " Aliki" and more specifically at the eastern of the port there is a small island called Bourtzi with a small castle built in 1827 in order to protect the port. The visitors will have the opportunity to see the castle's thick, tall walls that still exist.
USEFULL PHONE NUMBERS
EMERGENCY NUMBER 15303
POLICE POROS 22980 22256 – 22462
FOREST 22980 22387-22056
TOWN HALL 22983 20500
MUNICIPAL LIBRARY 25106 22980 25936 (FAX)
PUBLIC CLINICS 22980 22600
POST 22980 22275
HEALTH CENTER GALATAS 22983 20300 – 20301
PORT 22980 22274-22224
LIMENIKO TAMEIO 22980 29120 – 29121
ARCHEOLOGICAL MUSEUM 22980 23276
FIRE DEPARTMENT SERVICE 22980 - 35199 – 35599
TAXI 22980 23003
CUSTOMS OFFICE 22980 22313-23165 (FAX)
LOCAL ARCHIVE POROS 22980 26256-23018 (FAX)
LOCAL WEATHER FORECAST